Featured Post

Introduction

Hello and welcome to my blog! Here you will find some of my thoughts on Family Relations in our society today, but first a little bit...

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Men & Women: The Importance of Their Differences

Men and Women are extremely different from one another. To begin, women are more relationship oriented, while men are spatially oriented. One way this is shown is in how they give directions. I used to get rides home from people a lot and whenever I would tell people how to get to my house, I would tell them I live over by Little Ceasars. They would then start driving in that direction and I would direct them from there. However, my dad always says you go North/South on I-25, or similar a instruction, whenever he directs people. I always found this very confusing when he would tell me where to go, because I had no idea what he was talking about, since he was using spacial orientation instead of relationship orientation, which makes more sense to me.

Another way in which me and women are different is the fact that men tend to put all of their focus on one thing, while women tend to focus on a lot of little things all at once. I see this a lot in my parents. My mom always has five or six different projects going at once. She is currently redoing our house and she is fixing the stairs, building a bench, and putting up our patio cover, while also working on two or three sewing projects. Anytime she gets stuck on one project, or another one takes a higher priority, she just stops that one and moves on. My dad on the other hand likes to have one thing going at a time; especially during tax season. When my dad is working on doing our taxes he does not do anything else for about three days.

The last big difference I want to discuss is the fact that women are much more expressive with their emotions than men are. When I said goodbye to my parents the first time I came up to college I cried for a good fifteen minuets; even this semester I cried for a few minutes when they left. However my brother, who got dropped off for the first time this semester, just gave them each a hug and went off to Get Connected. I could never imagine going and doing something right after saying goodbye.

Although men and women are clearly very different from one another, it is important to note that these differences are what make men and women so compatible. Sometimes you need to be comforted by your mom, but if you are always coddled and you never receive a firm guiding hand from your father, you will not have thick enough skin to survive in the real world. Your boss does not care if you were tired and that is why you did not finish your work. They just care that your work gets done and if it does not get done, you could get fired.

The fact that men and women are different allows them to divide up responsibilities based on strengths. For example, my dad mows the lawn and he taught all of my brothers how to do it. My mom sews and she taught me how to do it. My dad is the main breadwinner of our house and my mom mostly stays home to take care of us kids. It is necessary to have people who can do different things.

Finally different situations may call for different approaches to solving a problem. What I mean by that is, that one persons method of doing something might work sometimes, but it is good to have someone who does things differently in case the first way does not always work. For example, my dad and mom both ties shoes differently. This was very helpful growing up because I could not figure out how to tie my shoes the way my mom did, so I just did it my dad's way.

In today's society it is quite common for people to try and belittle, or even get rid of, the differences between men and women, but I feel that we should celebrate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment